|Before the shelves become unstuck|
However I feel that I have done the right thing, because now the rack has greater free-standing capability until I decide if I will attach it to the wall, or leave it standing on the worktop.
I did run into another problem; the glue I used to attach the white plastic shelves to the pegboard back was not strong enough to hold when paint pots filled the shelves. After an hour or two they gave way and started peeling from the backboard.
I had to adapt the design to combat this and while I was at it I also decided that since the rack will be free-standing (for a while at least) I should enhance this feature.
In the end I re-glued the shelves and drove a screw through either end of the shelf, through the backboard and into a length of 2"x1" wood that ran vertically down either side, flush with the base.
The rack is now stronger, and sturdier than before.
|The final product|
Time will tell how successful this project has been but for now I am happy with the final product.
It just goes to show that one can create something bespoke much more cheaply than buying a pre-made item that doesn't quite meet the needs of the user.